Thursday 30 January 2014

Pond in the 2nd half of January

The beggining of second half of January brought here some snow an temperatures a little bit below 0 C (32F). As I mentioned in the last post from January 16, my garden turned fromm green to white. Next few days were quite windy, litlle bit cold, with a mixture of rain and snow. Beggining of last week welcomed us with the frozen rain that covered everything: vehicles, trees, stairs... But let's go back to January 16. My pond was not frozen that time.


Just after January 20, huge amount of cold air came here from Scandinavia. So we experienced -15 C (5F) by night and -8 C (17.6F) by the day. But we also experienced nice sunny weather!

As it was cold the water in my pond froze and a tiny ice surface appeared. Day by day it was thicker and thicker.


Last few nights and days were not that cold. But it was cloudy and huge amount of snow appeared ewerywhere in my area. Today it's around -7 C (19.40F) but it's very windy. 

We are looking for some warming that is forecasted to come here next week. But even during upcoming weekend it shall be around -3 C (26.6F) which is much better then now. 

There are some fishes living in my pond. They can withstand winter there without any problems. My pond is around 130 cm deep in the deepest point. So they have a kind of a shelter there. I installed a special device which we can call an artificial ice-hole. There is a kind of heating element there and a special pipe to trasport some fresh air (or oxygene) to the pond.


So you can see on a picture above how much snow we have here in the central part of Poland!

I hope that the nxt post will be much more optimistic as the weather is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment