Wednesday 8 January 2014

Evergreen garden in the beginning of January 2014

Christmas passed by and 2013 is finished. We've just started New Year. There is a winter picture with snow in my calendar but outside of the window it seems that spring is coming here to Poland. We were lucky during Christmas. It was sunny with +12 C (53,6 F). This is not so common for our climate. Every year all the children are waiting for white Christmas. Personally I don't like winter and I hate snow and frost in my area. it is only acceptable in the mountains. But... I live in the central part of Poland and snow and frost are something what we have to face every winter. But the end of 2013 and the beginning of 2014 has brought here nice, warm and sunny weather.



Lots of evergreen broadleaf plants are still growing or has just woken up to start new season. This is not good because winter will come sooner or later. If plants start to grow even a litle frost can destroy young parts.

Skimmia japonica is ready for blooming. This nice shrub blooms normally in winter but not in Poland! It blooms in Japan, the UK, Benelux or France, but not here! Normaly in my area flowers are destroyed by frost and in spring new stalks appear, now flowers at all!


Euonymus japonicus is still growing. New leaves appeared few days ago.


Mahonia aquifolium is going to bloom very soon.


Roses have new leaves. It's strange but the old ones are still on the shrubs. Normally roses leave their leaves in winter, but this year it hasn't happen.


Buxus sempervirens has also got young and light green leaves.


Even my frost hardy small palm tree is still growing. It is Trachycarpus Wagnerianus and I am not sure if it withstands winter here. We will see.


Weather forecasts say that winter will come here next week. Be sure that I will inform you about that on my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment