Sunday 15 September 2013

Evergreen garden in the middle of September

Summer is almost finished. Days are shorter, there are more rainfals and temperature has just dropped below +20 C. There are many signs of coming autumn. I also recognised them in my garden. There are lots of forest mushrooms growing just outside of my house, close to the pond.


We pick these mushrooms here in Poland. I know that in The UK or Germany or in many other countries people only eat champignons but we eat more maushrooms and can taste and smell their beautiful flavour. Mushrooms that I've just picked in my garden are not the most wanted ones but they are still OK and can be frozen to make a good mushroom sauce in winter.


Grass is still growing. I would even say it's growing faster than in July or August as it's got a huge natural watering. It is raining almost everyday! So using a small brake between rainfals I decided to cut it again.




As autumn is coming closer and closer some trees have just began to change their colours. Birches are the first trees to experience this change. Leaves turn from green to yellow and than they fall down on my lawn.


The ivies have just started to bloom. It's another sign of incoming autumn. I love ivies (English ivy, Persian ivy and others). There are more than 15 different ivies in my garden. One day I will explain more about their cultivation in Poland.


Magnolia grandiflora Edith Bogue is still growing. It is probably the only one evergreen magnolia which can withstand our climate. I bought it this year so I will be able to tell you something more about its hardiness next spring.


Garden always needs something to be done, I mean cut, cleaned or watered. Tomorrow I will have to clean my pond.  There are some algaes there and they should be removed.


Please forgive me my English. Don't be angry if you notice any mistakes. This is not my native language. I will try to do my best to write as correct as possible.

5 comments:

  1. Edith Bogue - is it still alive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am sorry for such a delayed answer. As you probably noticed I stopped to write this blog a long time ago. So I jump here to chcech comments very rarely. Magnolia Edith Bogue is still alive in my garden. Lately it withstood -20 degrees. No damages :) Kind regards. And please keep visiting my blog at www.zimozielonyogrod.blogspot.com :)

      Delete
  2. If your Edith Bogue survived last winter, send me a reply message here, so I get notified in my email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am sorry for such a delayed answer. As you probably noticed I stopped to write this blog a long time ago. So I jump here to chcech comments very rarely. Magnolia Edith Bogue is still alive in my garden. Lately it withstood -20 degrees. No damages :) Kind regards. And please keep visiting my blog at www.zimozielonyogrod.blogspot.com :)

      Delete
    2. If you would like to get any other information about evergreen broadleaf plants that grow in my garden in Poland (close to Warsaw) do not hesitate to send me an e-mail to info@zimozielonyogrod.pl or via Facebook. My profile is: Andrzej Zawadzki :)

      Delete