Wednesday 11 September 2013

How to cut lawns

Beautiful and lovely cut lawn is one of the most important parts of the garden. I would even say that this is the most important place. Green grass gives fantastic impression and tells a lot about the gardener. In general grass needs a lot of sun, water and fertilisers. You can also find mixed grass seeds dedicated for shady places, parks or dry soil.  There are many shady places in my garden as I live in the forest. It is quite difficult to grow nice lawn here but I try to do my best to have very green, dense and in general beautiful lawn.

Grass need regular cutting. I cut my lawn every 5-6 days from May to October. Before and after this period I cut it every 8-10 days. 

Look how my lawn looked before cutting.



And after.




Late morning or early afternoon are the best parts of the day for cutting lawns. Early morning dew is gone, so the grass is dry and ready for cutting. Do not cut wet grass becouse you can destroy grass-stalks. If destroyed the become yellow and the lawn doesn't look nice.

Winter in Poland comes in December. But sometimes even in November we can face some snow falls. It can also happen here that November and the first part of December are quite warm with temperatures around +5 or +10 C. If late autumn is warm enough grass still needs cutting. Maybe not every 10 days. I sometimes cut it every 2 weeks late autumn. But if it's freezing please do not cut the grass at all.



I will present some details about climate in Poland tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment